North America Smart City Market Synopsis
North America Smart City Market Size Was Valued at USD 365.23 Billion in 2022, and is Projected to Reach USD 681.04 Billion by 2030, Growing at a CAGR of 8.1% From 2023-2030.
A Smart City is an urban environment that leverages advanced technologies to enhance the quality of life for its residents and improve overall efficiency in various aspects of city management. It integrates information and communication technology (ICT), data analytics, and the Internet of Things (IoT) to optimize infrastructure, services, and communication.
- Smart Cities in North America leverage advanced technologies to enhance urban living, sustainability, and efficiency. Key components of these initiatives include the integration of IoT devices, data analytics, and digital infrastructure.
- Cities across the region are investing in smart solutions to address urban challenges, such as traffic congestion, energy consumption, and environmental sustainability. Initiatives range from smart transportation systems and intelligent energy management to the implementation of connected infrastructure for better public services. Major metropolitan areas like New York City, San Francisco, and Toronto have been at the forefront of deploying smart technologies.
- The market involves collaboration between public and private sectors, technology companies, and start-ups. Investments in 5G technology and the Internet of Things (IoT) have played a crucial role in shaping the smart city landscape. Regulatory support, coupled with a growing awareness of the benefits of smart technologies, continues to drive the market forward.
- In 2022, the market value of consumer IoT in North America was about 29.8 billion U.S. dollars. Wireless was the largest market type that year, amounting to around 17.9 billion U.S. dollars
Top Key Players:
"Alphabet, Cisco Systems, Microsoft, General Electric, Siemens, Honeywell, IBM, Uber, Tesla, Sidewalk Labs, Citymapper, Sensity, StreetLight Data, GE Digital, Urban Engines, Soofa, Nuvve, GridBeyond, Teleport, CivicSolar"
North America Smart City Market Trend Analysis
Infrastructure Renewal and Sustainability
- Infrastructure renewal and sustainability are pivotal driving factors propelling the growth of the Smart City market in North America. As urban areas grapple with aging infrastructure, there is an increasing emphasis on leveraging smart technologies to revitalize and modernize cities. The need for sustainable solutions is particularly pressing due to environmental concerns and the imperative to reduce carbon footprints.
- Smart City initiatives in North America focus on deploying innovative technologies such as IoT (Internet of Things), data analytics, and artificial intelligence to enhance urban infrastructure efficiency. The integration of smart systems in transportation, energy management, and public services not only improves operational efficiency but also contributes to environmental sustainability.
- Cities are investing in smart grids, intelligent transportation systems, and eco-friendly infrastructure to address the challenges of urbanization and promote long-term environmental stewardship. The convergence of technology with a commitment to sustainability positions North America as a leader in the global Smart City movement. This strategic approach not only addresses immediate infrastructure needs but also ensures a resilient, sustainable, and intelligent urban future.
Growing Urbanization and Infrastructure Upgrade creates an Opportunity
- The growing trend of urbanization and the pressing need for infrastructure upgrades in North America present a significant opportunity for the Smart City market. As cities expand and populations concentrate in urban areas, the demand for efficient and sustainable solutions intensifies. Smart City technologies leverage advanced digital infrastructure to enhance various aspects of urban living, including transportation, energy management, healthcare, and public safety.
- The integration of smart technologies in urban infrastructure allows for real-time data monitoring, predictive analytics, and automation, leading to improved resource utilization and overall city functionality. With the rise of interconnected devices and the Internet of Things (IoT), cities can optimize traffic flow, reduce energy consumption, and enhance public services. This creates a conducive environment for businesses and investors to participate in the burgeoning Smart City market.
- Governments and municipalities are increasingly recognizing the benefits of smart solutions in addressing urban challenges, fostering economic growth, and ensuring environmental sustainability. As a result, there is a growing emphasis on public-private partnerships and investments in innovative technologies to transform traditional urban landscapes into intelligent, interconnected hubs. The combination of urbanization and infrastructure upgrades in North America serves as a strategic opportunity for the Smart City market to thrive and contribute to the creation of more livable, resilient, and technologically advanced urban spaces.
North America Smart City Market Segment Analysis:
North America Smart City Market Segmented on the basis of Component and Functional Area.
By Component, Software segment is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period
- The software segment's dominance is fueled by the increasing adoption of smart technologies in areas such as transportation, energy management, public safety, and governance. Cities are leveraging advanced software applications to streamline operations, enhance decision-making processes, and address urban challenges effectively.
- Moreover, the adaptability and scalability of Smart City software make it a cornerstone for the development of resilient and sustainable urban ecosystems. As North American cities embrace the concept of smart urbanization, the Software segment is poised to play a central role in shaping the future of urban living through innovative technological solutions.
By Functional Area, Smart Healthcare segment held the largest share of 11.30% in 2022
- Smart Healthcare is the integration of cutting-edge technologies such as Internet of Things (IoT), Artificial Intelligence (AI), and Big Data analytics. These technologies enable real-time monitoring of health parameters, facilitate predictive healthcare analytics, and streamline medical processes, ultimately improving patient outcomes.
- Moreover, the implementation of telemedicine and remote patient monitoring systems contributes to the accessibility of healthcare services, particularly in densely populated urban areas. The Smart Healthcare infrastructure fosters a connected ecosystem where healthcare providers, patients, and various stakeholders can collaborate seamlessly.
North America Smart City Market Regional Insights:
United States is Expected to Dominate the Market Over the Forecast period
- The United States is poised to dominate the smart city market. With a robust technological infrastructure, significant investments in research and development, and a thriving innovation ecosystem, the U.S. has been at the forefront of smart city initiatives. Major cities across the country have been actively adopting and implementing smart technologies to enhance urban living, improve sustainability, and optimize resource management.
- The U.S. government's support for smart city projects, coupled with collaborations between public and private sectors, further accelerates the deployment of cutting-edge technologies. Initiatives focusing on IoT (Internet of Things), data analytics, artificial intelligence, and connectivity have been instrumental in transforming cities into intelligent and efficient urban spaces.
- Additionally, the U.S. is home to some of the world's leading technology companies that play a pivotal role in developing and supplying the necessary infrastructure and solutions for smart cities. These factors collectively position the United States as a key player in the global smart city market, with the potential to continue dominating as cities increasingly embrace digital transformation for sustainable and efficient urban development.
North America Smart City Market Top Key Players:
- Cisco Systems
- General Electric
- Sidewalk Labs
- StreetLight Data
- GE Digital
- Urban Engines
Key Industry Developments in the North America Smart City Market:
- In January 2023, Siemens acquired Enlighted, a leading provider of smart building technology, to strengthen its smart city offerings.
- In April 2023, Microsoft unveiled its Azure Digital Twins platform, enabling cities to create virtual representations of their physical infrastructure for data-driven decision making.
- In May 2023, Uber acquired Transloc, a transit data and analytics company, to improve its integration with public transportation systems in smart cities.
North America Smart City Market
2017 to 2022
Market Size in 2022:
USD 365.23 Bn.
Forecast Period 2023-30 CAGR:
Market Size in 2030:
USD 681.04 Bn.
By Functional Area
- Smart Infrastructure
- Smart Governance and Smart Education
- Smart Energy
- Smart Mobility
- Smart Buildings
- Public Safety
- North America (U.S., Canada, Mexico)